Vehicular communication, also known as Vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communication, facilitates communication between vehicles and other vehicles, infrastructure/roadside units or with pedestrians. V2X allows to exchange information such as safety warnings and traffic information. The exchanged information can help avoiding accidents and traffic congestion. It can also help to save energy through platooning and to support autonomous driving.
V2X includes more specific types of vehicle communication such as V2I (Vehicle-to-Infrastructure), V2V (Vehicle-to-Vehicle), V2P (Vehicle-to-Pedestrian), V2D (Vehicle-to-Device) and V2N (Vehicle-to-Network). V2X heavily relies on device to device communication (D2D). End devices form a vehicular ad-hoc network as they come within each-others range. V2X D2D does not require any infrastructure for vehicles to communicate.
Today V2X communication can be based on WLAN radio technology which is known in the US as IEEE802.11p / WAVE (Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments) and in Europe as ITS-G5. To provide more reliable and value-added V2X services, 3GPP is specifying V2X radio technology based on LTE and beyond. Widely deployed LTE infrastructure provides the opportunity to connect vehicles to the internet and other distant vehicles. And new V2X D2D and broadcast radio technologies provide fast, reliable and efficient communication means.
Nomor provides comprehensive services for vehicular communication including system simulations, technology demonstrations, standardization services, consultancy services and patent work.
Completed projects include:
- Simulations of automotive systems e.g. to compare IEEE802.11p and LTE V2X performance, comparison of autonomous vs. scheduled mode etc.
- Feasibility studies for advanced V2X scenarios such as platooning or autonomous driving
- Simulation of different antenna positions at cars for various MIMO transmission modes
- Test of feasibility and performance of automotive applications running on top of Nomor’s Real-time Network Simulator (RealNeS)
- Development, implementation and demonstration of over the air software update technologies and content distribution methods for automotive applications
- Technology evaluations and consultancy services for numerous leading car manufacturers
- Active participation in standardisation or reporting from standardization
- In-house technology training courses on 3GPP LTE V2X radio technology, protocols and architecture